Audio-Video Design Engineer
Imagine if you could …
… be a part of a growing company where what you do really makes a difference.
… feel appreciated and recognized for your hard work and initiative
… learn, grow, and develop professionally and personally.
We are a growing audio-video business in Frederick, Maryland seeking an Audio-Video Design Engineer who has a “roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes” mentality; loves to be challenged and takes initiative yet thrives in a team-oriented, “got your back” environment; takes pride in “going the extra mile” to serve others while setting and meeting expectations; seeks to find solutions and overcome problems while working collaboratively with everyone on the team.
If this position is of interest to you please apply by:
- Send us your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
- Format the subject line (First + Last Name Resume_Job Title)
- In your cover letter, provide three examples of how you demonstrate the qualities outlined in the paragraph above
POSITION OVERVIEW: Assists Sales staff with site surveys, gathering information such as dimensions and existing equipment list, and creating system solutions – including block diagrams, equipment list and labor estimates. Reviews proposals for technical accuracy. Is a resource to Operations Manager and installers during job installation. Troubleshoots and/or researches technical issues as requested. Secondarily prepares all documents, drawings, directions and folders for jobs.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist sales staff in evaluating opportunities and vetting requests
- Attend site visits/surveys with sales staff
- Assist gathering relevant site information, including but not limited to:
- Physical dimensions
- Building construction details
- Lighting measurements
- Access points and specifics
- Assist in documenting client information, requests, expectations, and any data deemed useful for creating design
- Revisit sites and/or contact clients to gather any additional information needed post-visit
- Assist and/or create system designs including simple block diagrams
- Research and gather information on uncommon/never-before-used equipment
- Utilizes manufacturer representative relationships to effectively learn about products and gain design assistance as necessary
- Create new customer and project as needed
- Enter equipment, cabling, accessories, and all parts into Project System
- Collaborate in estimating labor for the project
- Work with sales staff with fine-tuning design and Project System estimate
- Create and/or assist sales staff with Project Brief or narrative Proposal
- Review RFP, RFQ, and/or bid documents as requested
- Compile Project System equipment, cabling, accessories all parts for bids, including an initial estimate of labor
- Contact architect or relevant trades (General, Electrical, and Mechanical Contractors) to gather necessary details/information on projects as requested
- Assist sales staff in forecasting future sales opportunities
- Assist in compiling product documentation for presentations
- Accompany sales staff on presentations as requested
- Help revising design and Project System estimate as necessary
- Help revising Project Brief or narrative Proposal as requested
- Create change order requests and process as necessary
- Monitor manufacturer pricing in Project System and help coordinate receipt of updated pricing
- Collaborate with engineering and sales staff on establishing preferred products and techniques
- Visit the jobsites with Operations and/or technicians for introduction or to clarify project scope as requested
- Assist engineering with alternate products in cases of backorder or product not being available
- Work with sales staff on requesting special quotes for custom products or bulk purchases
- May take lead on certain sales opportunities as a primary salesperson
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Design Engineer is accountable to the Director of Sales. Secondary accountability will be to the other management team members, employees, and customers of the company.
SUPERVISORY DUTIES: While this position does not directly supervise employees, it is responsible for providing feedback to the Operations Manager on the Installer’s performance as it relates to technical skills, ability to perform using drawings and instructions provided, and training and support needs. Provide feedback to Director of Sales on sale representative’s effectiveness in proposing the ‘right’ solutions to customers and utilizing Engineering to develop solutions.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The following are the minimum qualifications an individual needs in order to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- AVIXA CTS certification required CTS-D preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field, or experience equivalent
- Proven experience in the design and installation of Audio Visual equipment and technology
SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Ability to design, develop, and draw site plans and electronic schematic diagrams utilizing CAD (BricsCAD or AutoCAD).
- Ability to design and implement systems control programming (Extron, AMX, etc…)
- Ability to design and implement DSP programming (QSC, Bi-Amp,etc…)
- Technical skills in engineering management, quality assurance and costing.
- Ability to troubleshooting and resolve technical issues experienced in the field with A/V equipment and minor acoustic issues.
- Ability to build upon existing manufacturer relationships for AVG’s benefit
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be responsible, self-motivated, personable and well-organized
- Excellent planning and project organization skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively with internal and external contacts and as a member of our team
- Able to train others on technical skills
- Proficiency in the use of personal computers including such programs as MS Word, Excel, Outlook, CAD and project management systems
- Must be able to effectively handle stressful situations
- Must be able to read and effectively interpret general business documentation, construction blueprints, electronic schematic diagrams
- Current and valid driver’s license
PHYSICAL, MENTAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Employee is required to stand, walk, climb, sit and use hands and fingers.
- Some moderate lifting of objects is required.
- Reaching, grasping and carrying activities also required.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: In general, the following conditions of the work environment are representative of those that an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- The office is clean, orderly, properly lighted and ventilated. Noise levels are considered low to moderate
- Site work job conditions are similar to typical office/building settings and construction projects.
- Generates complete and accurate project documentation within established time frames.
- Reviews pre-proposal recommendations for sales and project documentation with Engineer and Project Manager minimizing errors and lost productivity on projects.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date pricing on equipment, materials and parts used for proposals and purchasing.
- Enables sales staff to more effectively use time for business development and finalizing negotiations
- Interfaces and communicates effectively with sales, operations, project manager, office manager and is professional, timely and consistent.
- Meets with sales team to review pre-proposal recommendations prior to submission to prospect.
- Maintains a professional and organized work area, prioritizes work and meets deadlines.
- Stays abreast of industry changes and provides training for installers and sales as appropriate.
- Represents AVG professionally at all times.
- Arrives on time to meetings, comes prepared with information and fully participates in meeting.
- Maintains harmonious relations with staff, clients, and other contacts at all times.